Vermont E-bike Incentive - Rebate Details
The State of Vermont is offering a limited-time incentive program to consumers for the purchase of eligible electric bicycles to reduce vehicle miles traveled in personal automobiles and their associated greenhouse gas emissions. This Program was reauthorized with $150,000 through the 2023 Budget Adjustment Act and FY2024 Transportation Bill. (H. 479).
The total incentive pool is available to eligible Vermont residents on a first-come, first-served basis contingent upon funding availability. Once this funding is exhausted, State incentives under this program will no longer be available. Program terms and conditions may change at any time at Vermont Agency of Transportation's (VTrans) sole discretion.
Vermont eBike Incentives will be processed by the administrator, the Center for Sustainable Energy (CSE). Consumers will apply to receive a prepaid debit card with the incentive amount to be processed by a participating eBike retailer. Details on the incentive amounts and eligibility are provided below.
eBike purchasers may also be eligible for an eBike incentive from their electric utility.
Consumer Details Here.
E-bike Rebate Program Guidelines Here.
E-bike Incentive Attestation form Here.
Dealer Redemption Form Here.
General information regarding the eligibility requirements for both the purchaser and eBikes are described below. Complete and detailed information regarding program eligibility can be found in the State of Vermont eBike Incentive Program Guidelines.
- The program incentives are available to Vermont residents only – a current Vermont driver’s license or Vermont Non-Driver ID card is required as proof of residency. If a Vermont resident does not have a current Vermont driver’s license or Non-Driver ID card, a recent (within 3 months) utility bill with the consumer’s name and address will be required.
- The Vermont eBike Incentives are available for a maximum of one (1) electric bicycle rebate per eligible Vermont resident over the lifetime of the program.
- Vermonters intending to purchase electric bicycles solely for recreation are asked not to apply.
- Incentive eligibility includes income requirements based on your adjusted gross income (AGI) reported in your most recent tax return and your tax filing status (e.g. single, married filing jointly, etc). See the Rebate Amounts and Income Eligibility section for details.
- The incentive program does not extend to commercial or non-profit organizations.
- Incentives are not available for eBike purchases intended for resale.
- Standard eBikes must be equipped with a battery supplying 750 watts of power or less to be eligible for a rebate. Standard eBikes must have a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $4,000 or less.
- Cargo eBikes must meet the requirements for a motor-assisted bicycle as defined in 23 V.S.A.§ 4(45)(B)(i)(II) as a bicycle with fully operable pedals and an electric motor supplying 1,000 watts of power or less. Cargo eBikes must be specifically designed and constructed for transporting loads, including at least one or more of the following: goods; one or more individuals in addition to the operator; or one or more animals. Cargo eBikes must have a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $5,000 or less.
- Adaptive eBikes are standard or cargo eBikes modified to meet the physical needs or abilities of the operator or a passenger. Adaptive eBikes do not have a price eligibility requirement.
- eBikes must be sold as new.
|Incentive Amounts by Tax Filing Status, Adjusted Gross Income, and eBike Cost
|Adjusted Gross Income
|State eBike Incentive Amount
|New Standard eBike with MSRP of $4,000 or less
|New Cargo eBike with MSRP of $5,000 or less
|New Adaptive eBike (no MSRP limit)
|$60,000 or less for an Individual filing as single
|$75,000 or less for an Individual filing as head of household
|$90,000 or less for a Married couple filing jointly
How to get your State eBike Incentive
You must apply for a prepaid debit card prior to purchasing an eligible eBike at a participating retailer.
Complete the online application to verify your eligibility with the consumer attestation form and request your prepaid debit card. Once your application is approved the program administrator will email your incentive debit card information and your physical card will follow by mail. You do not have to wait for the physical card to arrive if you have a printout of your prepaid debit card information you can use that at a participating retailer. Processing of application materials may take 5-7 business days.
A participating retailer will apply your incentive amount to an eligible eBike purchase and they will be responsible for submitting proof of purchase to the program administrators.